You are Your Own Worst Enemy
By: White Werewolf

 

Xander Harris couldn't believe that his dream was going to become a reality. He was actually going to have a date with Buffy Summers. The same Buffy Summers he fell in love with since he hit the handrail on his skateboard. The same Buffy Summers that turned him down for the Spring Fling. That moment at the funeral parlor changed his life forever. The kiss was what initiated tonight's date. Xander was surprised that Buffy accepted his question especially since she was with Angel.

However, the vampire named Angel was no more. After a brief sexual encounter with Buffy, his soul went adios and he became the vampire that he has been for over two hundred years. Now, he's on a rampage and looking for a way to kill her.

The time for the date was scheduled for 9:00 and it was now 7:30. He had an hour and a half to get ready. Xander told Buffy to dress decent and that he would surprise her with the date. Everything was planned. There would be dinner and dancing at a new place that opened in Sunnydale, Island Paradise.

Within the next hour, Xander showered, shaved, and dressed in a light blue button down shirt and khakis. He finished combing his hair and looked into the mirror. I can't mess this up. Here I am, Xander Harris, and about to go out with Buffy Summers. I loved her from afar for a year now and I'm making progress. Only problem though is that Buffy's still a little fragile. She does love Angel, but Angel's no more. I can do something that Angel could never do. I can be with her during the day and at school. This might work after all. I better not rush her though.

All of the sudden the telephone rang. Xander went to his bed and picked up the receiver with his right hand and placed it next to his ear. "Hello and welcome to casa de Xander Harris. How may I help you this fine evening?"

"Xander, that's a new line."

"What can I say, Will? I'm finally going out with Buffy tonight. True, I had to end it with Cordeila, but it's worth it. I feel great! Anyway, Cordy, was just a fling in the long run."

"Just be careful with Angel out there. He might try and kill you now that you have this date with Buffy."

"If I die now, I'll die a happy man. What a way to go!"

"Please be careful. We already lost Jesse to vampires. I don't want to lose you too."

"Don't worry, Willow. I have the slayer with me. How are things going with Oz?"

"Things are fine. We have a date too later tonight. I just wanted to wish you luck."

"As much as I love to talk to you Willow, I have to go pick up Buffy. I'm taking her to Island Paradise for dinner and dancing."

"Have fun, Xander. Good luck."

Xander told his friend goodbye and hung up the phone. He passed his dresser taking his car keys to the door. After one more look into the mirror, he left the house and headed to the car.

***Willow's Bedroom***

Willow hung the phone up and stared up to ceiling from her bed. Why's Buffy going out with Xander? She knew that I love him. This is just so hard for me to deal with. Tears started to emerge from her eyes. She wiped them away. I have to grow up. I have Oz now. Part of me will always love Xander. We're simply best friends. I have to keep telling myself that. It's going to hurt for a while, but Oz will help.

I have to get ready for my date. Oz will be here soon. I can't believe I'm going out with a werewolf. He's also a musician. With that final thought, Willow got up and went into the bathroom.

***Outside Xander's House***

He placed the key in the ignition and roared the engine to life. Xander placed one hand on the steering wheel and his other hand behind the next seat's headrest. Then he looked back to make sure the road was clear and pulled out of the driveway and drove off.

Xander pulled up Buffy's driveway and parked his car. He jumped out with a bounce in his step. Keep it together, Xander. Just one step at a time. It's now or never. Take a deep breath. Not too long or you'll suffocate. Xander took a deep breath and rang the doorbell.

The next couple seconds felt like an eternity to Xander. His heart was racing and his palms were sweating. Nervousness ran over his body. This is weird. Cordelia never made me feel this way. It's probably because I finally have my dream coming true and I want it to be perfect. I want to--

Before Xander could finish his inner monologue. The door opened to reveal Joyce Summers. "Hello, Xander. Please come in."

A wave of relief ran wild over Xander. He looked at Joyce. "Thank you, Mrs.. Summers"

"Buffy?"

"Yeah, Mom!"

"Xander's here!"

"I'll be down in a moment."

***Buffy's Room***

Buffy was dressed in a spaghetti strapped red dress. She looked absolutely breath taking as usual. Buffy lay on her bed staring at the ceiling.

I have to do this. Angel's gone. I need to move on with my life. Xander can be the person to help me through this. I can't get that kiss out of my mind. When I kiss Angel, it's different. It seemed good, but there was something different with Xander. It felt incredible. I do think Xander's handsome in a goofy way. Maybe there's a possible future with him. He has helped me so many times and saved my life at least twice. Xander gave me CPR when I drowned, came up with a way to defeat The Judge, and saved my life when Theresa almost killed me. I better get going. Xander's waiting. Where's he taking me, anyway?

***Outside Buffy's Bedroom Window***

A figure climbed up the tree to look on Buffy as usual. He would sit there planning his future exploits. The figure hid in darkness and watched Buffy lying on her bed.

***Buffy's Bedroom***

With that final thought Buffy got up and headed downstairs. She walked inside the living room and saw Xander talking to her mother on the couch. He looks good.

Xander felt a gust of wind forcing him to turn into Buffy's direction. Easy, boy. Don't let your mouth drop open. Be smart and witty. "You look beautiful, Buffy."

"Thanks, Xander. You don't look half bad yourself."

"Thank you. We better get going if we want to make our reservations. My wallet's itching to get open."

"Where are you two going tonight?"

I might as well tell them. That way, there will be no feeling awkward later. "I'm taking our fair Buffy for dinner and dancing at Island Paradise" Xander felt pride at that moment. Let's see Deadboy beat that. All he could to is take her to a blood bank.

Buffy was surprised that Xander made reservations at Island Paradise. "Isn't that the new place?" At this point Buffy sat next to Xander.

"Yep." Xander stood up and looked into Buffy's beautiful green eyes. Then he opened his hand so he could help Buffy up. "We better get going."

Buffy accepted Xander's hand and she looked towards her mother. "I'll see you later, Mom."

Xander looked back at Joyce with Buffy holding his hand. "I'll bring her back by 11:30, Mrs. Summers."

I can trust Xander. I want my daughter to have a good time. She has been feeling a little down lately. "Make it midnight and call me Joyce, Xander."

"Thanks . . .um . . .Joyce." That felt weird. It will get better in time. Xander brought his attention from Joyce to Buffy.

Buffy was surprised at that moment. Mom really does trust Xander. Why shouldn't she? Xander's one of my best friends and maybe something more. I just want to get through tonight first. "Thanks, Mom."

"Have a good time, kids."

"We will," Buffy and Xander said in unison. Xander opened the door to the driveway to allow Buffy passage. They headed for the car.

Xander opened the door to the car and took a bow. "Your carriage awaits, milady."

Buffy politely did a curtsy. "Thank you, kind sir."

The two went inside Xander's car and drove off.

***The Tree Outside Buffy's Bedroom Window***

The figure looked down and saw Buffy and Xander going inside the car.

Now I get it. It appears the slayer's trying to move on. Xander finally asked her and she accepted. I don't know where they're going but I'll follow them. There might be some new interesting aspects in this relationship I could use against the slayer.

The figure climbed out of the tree and headed off to follow the car.

***Island Paradise***

Xander opened the door to the restaurant and let Buffy walk in. Together they moved forward to the hostess.

The hostess was looking at what appeared to be a table map of the restaurant. She was brunette and about 5 and a half feet tall wearing a white uniform with the Island Paradise logo over her heart. The hostess looked up and saw Xander and Buffy. "How may I help you tonight?"

Xander cleared his throat and said, "We have reservations for tonight. They're under the name Xander Harris."

The hostess looked down at a sheet of reservations and scanned for the name. She found them. "I have your name here. Xander Harris for two. Let me show you where your table is." The hostess brought them to a table that had a view of Jefferson Park. "Here's your table. The menus are on the table and your waiter, Ace, will be over in a bit."

"Thank you," the hostess left them to go back to her station. Xander pulled out a chair for Buffy to sit on. "Here you go, Buffy."

"Thank you, Xander." Buffy sat down and he pushed the chair back to the table. He sat down across from her and placed his hands on the table.

The two of them looked around the restaurant. There were tables aligning the perimeter except for the stage where music was being played. The dancing floor was made with wood panels and chandeliers were hanging down from the ceiling. The décor was made to look like a tropical island with palm trees in the corners of the dining room.

The tables were done in the same style as the dancing floor with candles in the center to set the romantic mood. Everything was perfect.

"This place looks beautiful, Xander. I can't believe that you were able to get reservations for this place. It's been busy since it opened a month ago," she paused. "How did you get the reservations?"

"Let me say this. You're more beautiful than this place." Buffy blushed at what he said.

"That's so sweet, Xander. You never told me how you got the reservations for this place. Island Paradise has been booked for a month."

Xander brought his attention to the tabletop. His face looked a little discomforted. Buffy saw this and placed her hand on his. "What's wrong, Xan? I thought you would be happy by what I said."

"I am. Don't get me wrong. It's just what that . . ." Xander's voiced trailed off a little. His eyes began to water a little.

Buffy brought her hand up to see Xander's face. She saw the pain in his eyes. "What's wrong?"

I can't tell her. She doesn't have to know about my dad. Buffy already has enough problems in her life. He wiped his tears with the back of his hand. "It's nothing, Buffy."

Why's Xander like this? I never saw him like this. I have to find out. I care about him too much. "Please tell me, Xander."

"I can't."

"Please! Why are you like this?"

I should tell her. Buffy could help me. "It's just that. . . "

Tears started appear in her eyes now. "It's just what?"

It's now or never. Tell her. "My dad's an alcoholic. He always beats me when he's drunk. That's why I stay away from the house whenever I can."

Buffy went over to Xander and hugged him. "I'm so sorry, Xander. I never knew. Why didn't you tell me before?"

"I'll tell you, just please sit down. I don't want to bring too much attention over here."

Buffy nodded and did what he told her.

Xander cleared his throat. "It's just that you already have enough problems in your life with slaying and the current Angel situation. I didn't want to add to your problems."

"Your problems are my problems. I'll help you in what ever I can."

"Thanks, Buffy. That really means a lot to me."

"No problem. How did you get reservations here though?"

"The owner here is actually a friend of my father. My dad may treat me like crap, but his friend treats me with respect."

"Don't worry. We'll get through this together." He nodded. "With that being said, let's check out the menu." Buffy glanced at the menu.

"Order whatever you like. I have enough money." I've been saving for a while and you're worth it. Xander looked at his menu and found exactly what he wanted. "I know what I want."

"Are you sure, I can have whatever I want?"

"As of right now, I am the food genie. Except I'm not blue, I don't come from a lamp, and I don't have a friend named Aladdin. I do, however, have a superior physique." Xander pulled back his sleeve and made a muscle.

Buffy giggled. "Pull your sleeve down. I know you're a manly man, but you don't have to show me." Xander just gave her a look. "I know what I want too."

At that moment, a man walked over to their table. He had short brown hair, about 6 feet tall, and brown eyes. "Hi, my name's Ace. I'm your waiter. What can I get you tonight?"

"You go ahead Buffy."

"I'll have the chicken parmesan with a Sprite."

"I'll have the prime rib with a Coke."

"Anything else?"

"We're good to go," Xander replied.

"I'll be back with your drinks in a few moments." Ace set off, leaving Xander and Buffy to their conversation.

Careful, Xander. You don't want to talk to Buffy about Angel. Only talk about that if she brings it up. Somebody pinch me. "I must be dreaming."

Xander didn't realize that the last part was said out loud.

Buffy had a perplex look on her face. "What were you dreaming about?"

Damn! Why did I say that out loud! Be honest. Tell her. "I just can't believe that I'm on a date with you." Xander paused. Think brain. Think. Allow my wheels to turn. Turn baby, turn. "That's all."

Buffy looked at Xander. She saw how happy he was and that made her feel good. Even so, part of her still wanted to leave. Angel had been such an important part of her life and now he may never return. There was a void in heart.

Xander saw Buffy looking a little depressed. "Why so glum, Buffy? I thought that this place would make you happy."

"Never mind, Xander. This is our night not Angel's." Why did I mention Angel's name. Xander hates him.

When Xander heard the name, Angel, he felt like his wind was knocked out of him. Here Xander was on a date with Buffy and she mentioned the vampire's name. Calm down, Xander. Angel's a part of Buffy's life and if I want to have something serious with her, I have to be there for her. "Buff?" Buffy looked at him. "I--"

Xander was interrupted by Ace who just came over with the sodas. "The food will be here in a bit."

Xander waited for Ace to leave and brought his attention back to Buffy. "If you want to leave, then we will. What ever happens to Angel in the future will change us. I don't want to be in the middle of something if Angel becomes his soulful self again. I want you to be happy and if that means the end of this new hopeful relationship, then so be it. I'll always be here for you."

Xander just said what? He actually put this relationship on the line for Angel. I have to remember the current Angel isn't the one I fell in love with. Plus, I still can't get our kiss out of my mind though. It was so much more passionate than Angel's. "Xander?" Xander looked at her and placed his hand on hers. Buffy felt a sudden wave of warmth run through her body. "I want to stay. Angel's been a part of my life and I can't change that. But I have to remember that Angel isn't here anymore. The kiss we had the other day was spectacular and I can't get out of my mind. I want try going with you."

Xander thought Buffy needed some fun right now. The food wouldn't be here for a bit so he got up and walked over to Buffy's chair. He opened his hand and said, "The last time I asked you this, I got turned down. But I'm a kind-hearted man, so I'm willing to forget that. Do you want to dance with me?"

Buffy couldn't resist. The thought of Xander and her dancing was just what she needed. "Sure," she accepted his open hand and they went to the dance floor.

The dance floor was crowded with other couples, but not uncomfortably so. The music set a nice mood.

Xander placed his hand behind Buffy's back. Buffy grabbed Xander's other hand and they began to dance. They let their bodies shift to the music while looking at each other. Green eyes met brown. Buffy could see the passion in Xander's eyes and it made her feel warm and protected. She rested her head on Xander's shoulder. Their dance made Buffy forget about Angel and focus only on the man in front of her. The pair danced for a good three songs until Xander noticed the food was on the table. He gently tugged Buffy in that direction.

Together, Buffy and Xander walked back to their table and sat down. Buffy cut a piece of her chicken and placed into her mouth. "I didn't know that you danced so well, Xander."

Xander took a sip from his Coke and said, "I actually enjoy dancing, Buffy. The secret is it only works extremely well when the other person you're dancing with is someone you care about."

Buffy realized something. The last time that Buffy really had a good time dancing was with Angel during the Spring Fling. Dancing with Xander was different to her. The way he moved and held her close to his body was amazing. Xander was able to make her feel things that Angel never been able do.

I don't understand this. Angel and I had been close for almost a year but now he seems to be from my distant past. True, Angel isn't Angel anymore but still. There should be some kind of connection, shouldn't there? There has to be some part of the man I love inside him still, right?

On the other hand, Xander has done numerous things for me that Angel could never do. Xander was the one that brought me back to life. He came for me when Giles and Angel thought it was helpless. Xander has also been through a lot with his father. I should thank Xander. That's what I should do. He needs to hear it.

"I have something to tell you, Xander." He nodded. "I never thanked you for saving my life. I wouldn't be here if you weren't there. I owe you my life."

This surprised Xander. He never thought that Buffy would thank him. "I'm just glad I could help you. You don't have to owe me anything. Just being here with me is all I need."

Buffy blushed at his words. "I just wanted to tell you. When I first came back from the summer, I acted like a bitch and used you to make Angel jealous. "

"Can't say I was a big fan of that, but I got over it. I really can't get mad at you. You have a lot on your plate and I'm just glad that I'm part of it." Since Buffy has been honest with me. I should do the same. I'll tell her about my time as the hyena. "As long as we are on the truth, I want to say that I'm sorry about what I did as hyena boy. I hurt Willow and tried to seduce you. Not to mention, I had the other white meat raw. That was unpleasant."

"You were under the influence. I'm sorry I hit you with the desk. Truth be told, there was some, little attraction between us then."

I wish I knew that before. "Now you tell me."

"I didn't realize until later but . . ." Buffy's voice trailed after realizing what the next thing she was going to say.

"You mean you got involved with Deadboy." Xander didn't want to mention his real name. Buffy nodded. "Timing was never my strong suit."

Xander always knows what to say in the end. Wait a minute! He doesn't! Oh well! Nobody's perfect. He always makes me laugh and is there for me when needed. "It doesn't matter. I'm with you now, aren't I?"

Xander finished his prime rib. "That depends."

"How so?"

"Where do I stand against Angel?" Why did I say that? Smooth move, Xander.

Angel and I can never work. If sex was what turned him to this present form, then there would be no more sex in my life and that's something I need in my life. "I have to face facts. Angel, well he isn't Angel any more, he's not here. However, you are. I think this relationship can work."

Xander's heart just stopped. She's choosing me over Deadboy. "I died and went to heaven. Quick, where's Jesse?"

"You're not in heaven, Xander." Buffy said as she caressed Xander's cheek. "I'm sorry to disappoint you, Xan."

"Then how come I'm staring at an angel? The female heavenly one, not Deadboy."

"That was sweet, Xander, for the most part." Buffy finished her Sprite. "You know, I really enjoyed tonight."

"Me too. Do I see further dates in our future?"

Buffy finished her chicken parmesan. "Depends."

"How?"

At that moment Ace came by with the check.

Waiters! They always have the worst timing! Doesn't matter. Focus on Xander. "Kiss me again."

Xander and Buffy leaned into each other across the table. Xander cocked his head to catch Buffy's lips with his. The kiss was gentle and full of passion. There were surges of electricity between then. When they broke away Xander breathed out, "That was perfect."

"Yes it was." Damn! That was good. Too bad I have to get going home. At least I actually have someone to look forward to seeing in the daytime. I could get used to this. "I better get home."

"Let's go. We pay up front." Xander left a tip for Ace. He got up from his chair and took Buffy in his arm. Together they walked to the cashier where Xander paid the check.

Xander opened the door for Buffy. Together, they walked to Xander's car. He opened the door for Buffy and then went back to the driver seat. The car pulled out of the parking spot, and Xander drove his way to drop Buffy off.

The figure watched as Buffy and Xander drove off. All of a sudden he heard a noise coming from behind him.

"I know a way to get to the slayer. Would you be interested in it?" A voice said behind the figure.

"What can you do to interest me?" The figure was full of rage at that point as he spun to face the new presence. "Who are you, anyway?" Unfortunately, Angel couldn't see the face. All he saw was a man wearing a fedora and trench coat.

"I'll tell you in time, Angel. All I say is this. I am a person from another universe who wants revenge on Buffy."

"What can you do for me?"

"I know that our friend Buffy finally noticed Xander. What would you say if I could give you some help from another vampire or a hyena?"

"Why would I want another vampire's help? And what can a hyena do to help me? I already have Spike and Druscilla." This man has a death wish. Now that I think about it, I'm kind of hungry. Angel smacked his lips.

"Because this vampire would crush the slayer and her friends. Not to mention the hyena. Especially now that that she found something special in Xander Harris."

I'll bite. This sounds interesting. "Who do you have in mind, and what's in this for you?"

"In one alternate universe, Xander Harris is a vampire. In another one, a hyena processes him. Think what would happen if Buffy saw Xander as a vamp or as a hyena. She would be devastated. I understand that this would be to your liking, Angelus. As for me, I'd get revenge on Buffy."

Seeing Xander as a vampire or hyena would terrorize Buffy. She would think that she lost another person. All I have to do is keep the real Xander in hiding. That might be harder now that he will be around Buffy more. I like a challenge. Something dawned on Angel. Wait a minute! I can get both. Two Xanders would help me tremendously. Then I will kill her. "I'm interested."

"Great! So what will it be, Angel? You can have Vampire Xander or Hyena Xander."

"Both!"

"This could be interesting."

"What do we do?"

"Meet me in the back of the Bronze tomorrow night at midnight."